Media Statement
25 May 2021


As of today the
cumulative number of cases reported in South Africa is 1 640 932 reflecting a 0,19% increase, with 3 084 new cases reported over the past 24 hours.

There are currently 41 005 active cases in the country, reflecting a 0,69% increase in active cases over the past 24 hours.

The national case fatality rate (CFR) as of 25th of May 2021 is 3,4%. The total cumulative number of deaths 55 976 reflecting an increase of 102 reported deaths as of 18:00.

Of the reported deaths 25,5% (26) occurred in the past 48 hours.

Nationally, there has been an 17,0% increase in new cases compared to 7-days prior. All provinces continue to show increases in new cases compared to 7-days prior.

As of 25th May 2021, the highest case incidence per 100 000 population over the past 7-days was reported in the Northern Cape at 226,9; followed by the Free State at 101,2; Gauteng at 58,4; North West at 52,7; Mpumalanga at 24,4; and Western Cape at 22,8 new cases per 100 000 population.

Nationally, the new test positivity rate has shown a positive percentage increase compared to 7-days prior, with all nine provinces showing increases in new test positivity rates.

Nationally, as of 25th of May 2021, there has been a 17,0% increase in hospitalisations compared to 7-days prior.

Testing
In the past 24 hours, 28 026 SARS-CoV-2 tests were reported (22 770 PCR tests and 5 256 antigen tests) bringing the total number of tests conducted since the start of testing to 11 406 308.
Of the total tests performed in the past 24hrs, 52% (14 656) are from the public-sector and the other 48% (13 370) are from the private-sector.
The overall positivity for the newly reported tests is 11,0%.

Deaths
In the last 24 hours, 102 deaths have been reported: Eastern Cape 3, Free State 32, Gauteng 36, KwaZulu-Natal 11, Limpopo 0, Mpumalanga 0, North West 0, Northern Cape 19 and Western Cape 1 which brings the total to 55 976 deaths – reported as at 18:00.
Eastern Cape reported 3 deaths. These include 2 deaths in May 2021 (of which 1 occurred in the past 48 hours) and 1 in January 2021. The Province is continuing with COVID mortality audit.
Free State reported 32 deaths. These include 29 deaths in May 2021 (of which 5 occurred in the past 48 hours), 1 in March 2021, 1 in February 2021 and 1 in January 2021. The Province is continuing with COVID mortality audit.
Gauteng reported 36 deaths in May 2021 (of which 17 occurred in the past 48 hours).
KwaZulu-Natal reported 11 deaths in May 2021 (of which 2 occurred in the past 48 hours).
Limpopo reported 0 deaths.
Mpumalanga reported 0 deaths.
North West reported 0 deaths.
Northern Cape reported 19 deaths. These include 15 in May 2021 and 4 in April 2021. The Province is continuing with COVID mortality audit.
Western Cape reported 1 death in May 2021 which occurred in the past 48 hours

Recoveries & Active Cases
Nationally, the cumulative number of recoveries increased by 0,18% in the past 24 hours, to 1 543 951. This represents a recovery rate of 94,1%.
There are currently 41 005 active cases in the country, reflecting a 0,69% increase in active cases over the past 24 hours.
The Northern Cape currently has the active cases per 100 000 population at 622,1; followed by the Free State at 232,7; the North West at 118,7; Gauteng at 74,0 and Western Cape at 43,9 active cases per 100 000 population.

Deaths and Recoveries
Today, 72 COVID-19 related deaths have been reported: Eastern Cape 6, Free State 21, Gauteng 7, Kwa-Zulu Natal 0, Limpopo 13, Mpumalanga 6, North West 0, Northern Cape 6 and Western Cape 13 which brings the total to 55 874 deaths.

We convey our condolences to the loved ones of the departed and thank the health care workers who treated the deceased patients.

The cumulative recoveries now stand at 1 541 250 representing a recovery rate of 94,1%

Vaccination Rollout
Daily Registrations as at Midnight – 2021-05- 24

The total vaccinated in Phase Two as at midnight today is 700 904.


Dr. Zwelini Mkhize
Minister of Health