NATIONAL DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH COMMUNICATION: REIMBURSEMENT OF UNINSURED PATIENTS AT PRIVATE SITES
The National Department of Health would like to clarify the following in respect of uninsured patients being vaccinated at private sites:
1. In an effort to accelerate the vaccination programme across the country, both uninsured and insured people will be allocated to the most appropriate site, whether it is a private or public site.
2. In accordance with the Sales and Distribution Agreement, the principle has been agreed that the NDOH will reimburse the private sites for the administration of vaccinations to uninsured people, including uninsured walk-ins, provided they are registered on the EVDS.
3. The reimbursement will cover the service cost of administering the vaccine at a rate agreed to in the Agreement, and a credit note will be issued to cover the cost of the vaccine.
4. NDOH and Medikredit are still finalizing the mechanics through which reimbursement will be facilitated.
5. In the interim, we would like to encourage the private sites to proceed with vaccinating all uninsured, registered people over 50 years, and provide assurance that they will be reimbursed once the mechanism has been finalized. The relevant records should be maintained to facilitate this.
6. Should you have any queries regarding this communique, please feel free to contact Dr Nicholas Crisp at email@example.com.
DR SSS BUTHELEZI